Friday, June 07, 2013

leftovers quilt

Welcome to finish it up Friday!
As of 11 last night I still had 2 sides of binding on this quilt to hand stitch down. Oh, and my internet is down, too, so I wasn't sure I would be able to blog about it even if I did have a finish. But, thanks to some late night and early morning binding, I am done with my leftovers quilt! And thanks to my handy hubby, who helped me rig up a hot spot with my phone, I'm able to share my finish with you. He's quite a guy! I'm so thankful to have in-house tech support. :)
On to the quilt. The blue/green/purple pieces are leftovers from this quilt that I made for my nephew several years ago. The blocks are floating on a Kona Ash background. I used a light gray thread and quited a simple swirl over the whole thing.
My favorite block in the whole quilt is the pink/orange/yellow block. It was pieced from my never-ending supply of scraps. (of course!) This was kind of a last minute addition and I love how it gives the quilt an unexpected punch of color. I am a huge fan of grouping warm colors together and cool colors together and this was a great way to integrate the two in one quilt. I think it's really effective! I have so much more exploring that I want to do with that idea.
For the back I used a bunch of blue fat quarters from Connecting Threads (now discontinued, I'm sorry to say). They make a wonderful backing, plus, they are so soft! I sure LOVE a two-sided quilt!
For the binding I used this wonderful Central Park print by Kate Spain. I wish I had yards and yards of it. It finishes off the quilt so nicely! Incidentally, I used the same print for my last quilt finish. I don't think I've ever bound two big quilts back to back with the same binding print. It's gotta be pretty good for that to happen. And it's not even a polka dot or a stripe. Amazing! :)
I love how all the elements of this quilt work together! It measures about 68" x 92". I'm so happy to have this one finished!

How about you? Do you have a finish to share? If so, please link up to a specific post. Thank you for joining me to finish it up Friday!

44 comments:

Beth said...

Great quilt - I also really like the pink/orange square!

Sara said...

I love this quilt! The one yellow,orange and pink block is so bold and lends a nice unique feature to this quilt.

Beautiful binding choice.

My hubby is SUPER tech savvy as well:) REALLY serves its purpose A LOT of the time!!! lol

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

love, love, love this quilt! Especially the backing. I have never even thought of using fat quarters that way for the backing. It seems so logical, but it's just never occurred to me. I'll definitely be doing this!

-Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Deborah Hamilton said...

What a wonderful quilt! I love everything about it!

Margaret said...

Is this a pattern from your book?

Di~ said...

Me too, I love everything about this quilt. I do not 'get' how that front is put together...a little math and a lot of drafting?

thequiltedmitten said...

I love this quilt! Great use of scraps, and I love the contrast of the pink block!

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

This is a fun quilt! Love the Kona Ash as a background.

Lauren Deel said...

I love the quilting and the binding and the blocks... okay, just about everything! :)

Svetlana said...

what a gorgeous quilt, AmandaJean. I so love that warm rectangle mixed in with the cool ones. Another amazing finish.

Turid said...

A super way of using up your leftovers. I like the back side too.

beth said...

It's a beauty, AmandaJean!

Susana Neiger said...

This is gorgeous! I love the beautiful simplicity. And I love the "punch" the warm colors give, too.

Angie said...

You are aaaamazing and so is this quilt. :)

Kathy @ Kwilty Pleasures said...

Love the KWILT!

Unknown said...

Beautiful, simply beautiful! You inspire me!

Nancy said...

The pink rectangle is my favorite, too. I love the simple design of the front and the all-over blue on the back. It's a fun quilt.

hydeeannsews said...

3 cheers for in-house tech supporting husbands and early morning finishes!!!

it's fantastic. i love the warm punch of color on the front and the back is so pretty, too. too bad you didn't add one little punch of color there also just to carry the theme over. it's great either way!

Jennie @ Porch Swing Quilts said...

In-house tech support is the best. Mine even re-attached several letter keys my baby girl popped off. Love it!

And your quilt. Just stunning, really. I always love to see how you use up every little scrap!

Snowcatcher said...

What an awesome way to use up little leftovers! This is spectacular!

excuseme23 said...

Gorgeous quilt, so simple and stunning colours. Great work.

Ali said...

Those blues and greens are my favouite colours and I love the way you have set them off with hot pinks and oranges.

Karen said...

It's a lovely quilt, I love that Kate Spain print for binding too, and I've run out! :o)

~Carla~ said...

Love that quilt!! The pink binding just adds so much awesomeness to it!! :)

Vicki said...

Love, love, love that pink binding! Thank you so much for the close up picture!

Nancy in NV-wheres the dude at blogspot said...

Those brights pop right off the background. Love it. Kona Ash was a good choice. Great binding too.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Fantastic! I love Kona Ash and yeah for scrappy quilts :)

Shanna said...

I love your quilt!! The colors are fabulous!

nicole said...

Gorgeous finish! Love the one warm block mixed in. And genius for the backing. Such a fantastically simple idea and looks amazing!

Jeneta said...

Oh well done! I chose sleep over having a finish!! I love the binding - Kate Spain fabric is always a fav of mine on any part of a quilt!

giddy99 said...

It's lovely, and you're right about that binding fabric! :)

Michele said...

Really cool quilt. I just love the punch of color.

DaiseyJayne.com said...

Beautiful quilt!!!

Clair said...

No finishes for me, but good job! I like the back a lot.

Patti said...

Love the quilt! I have to ask also do you have the pattern or tutorial for it??

Wandering Minstrel said...

That is wonderful! Congrats on a great finish!

Alli said...

I really like your quilt! The layout is so nifty, and I agree with you that the pink and orange block gives it an awesome punch! :)

Anonymous said...

I am desperate to find someone who can help me finish my quilt.... I have the top done, it still needs a border. I have the backing fabric - just need it to be sandwiched, quilted and bound!

Is this possible? Can anyone help?

Michelle said...

Beautiful quilt...both front and back.

Anonymous said...

Just love this quilt. I am so inspired! I have a lovely pieced black,white and lime green left over and I will use it to create a little quilt. Thanks for the inspiration. Have a great day!

Nicky said...

What a great way to serve up leftovers to make one delicious quilt!

Teresa Rawson said...

I LOVE your leftover quilt...can't decide which colorway rectangles I like better, the warm ones or the cool ones.

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Mama Pea said...

Really beautiful. I love the binding a lot!

Heather Pregger said...

I love this quilt! Fabulous colors, fabulous quilting and the binding is perfect!