Friday, September 06, 2013

porthole pillow

Welcome to finish it up Friday!
Can I just say, I love finishing?
I really do.

I made this block at Camp Stitch A Lot last month, and I turned it into a pillow cover yesterday. One less thing hanging out on the design wall. Hurray!
The patchwork center was made using the slab technique in Sunday Morning Quilts and the circle was made using a reverse applique technique that Rossie taught at camp. I really liked the process of making circles this way. Furthermore, I LOVE how the two techniques work together.
For quilting, I cross hatched the background using a 2" grid in red thread. The center is pebble quilted in white thread. I considered doing a spiral quilting on the background, or perhaps even concentric circles, but cross hatching won out at the last minute. I am happy I chose that route.
I made an envelope backing so that cover is washable. This ADORABLE Riley Blake print from my stash is a lovely compliment to the front, I think. My daughter squealed with delight when she saw it on the back. (Apparently she agreed.) Man, it's fun to have a girl to share cuteness overload with.
I'm so glad that I made this block larger enough to turn into a pillow (it's 22" square), because the last thing I need is another orphan block hanging around. I can always use another pillow to add to my growing collection. :)

This is scrappy project 10/101. Almost a tenth of way there!

Now it's your turn. Please link up your finishes! Thanks, as always, for joining me for finish it up Friday!

35 comments:

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

The reverse applique looks so neat! I would love to learn to do that.

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

nicole said...

Love it! And the pebble quilting is awesome, i really must learn how to FMQ!

Unknown said...

Lovely pillow.
Have a great weekend.

Jocelyn said...

So very cute!!

Bethe said...

OMG, the fabric on the back is to die for!
www.texaslovely.com

beth said...

LOVE. it.

Katherine said...

Darling finish! Oh, you've got the right idea... I have some orphan blocks hanging around, too. Much better to see them become pillows! Guess I know what I'll be doing.... ;o)

Happy weekend to you!

Oh, by the way, pop over for today's post... if you want to see what I made using those Oh-Cherry-Oh charms you gifted me.

Janet @ Simply Pieced said...

I need to learn how to do reverse applique...that is such a wonderful technique. Your pillow is a great example of that.

Live a Colorful Life said...

I would squeal with delight as well!

Unknown said...

Turned out really cute! Love the fabric on the back of the pillow.

Hannah said...

ADORABLE!! I love it, that back print makes it simply over the top :-). Don't you love pebble quilting? I think it's great. Pillows are the perfect idea for orphans ... now know what I'll be doing this week!

Kelsey said...

I love that scrappy center! Your circle reverse applique looks incredible, that must of been one heck of a good class. I definitely need to learn some circle skills asap.

Anonymous said...

Your quilting choices compliment the design!

Anonymous said...

I love the pillow and the patchwork. I like to make a pillow first before making a quilt so I can decide if I really like the pattern. Very nice love the circle.

Vera said...

Fun and cute design.

Sara said...

What a clever idea. It could work nicely with some of the orphan blocks I have too. Thanks for the new inspiration

Lucy | Charm About You said...

I absolutely love it!! so cute! I agree the crosshatching is a nice touch and a bit of a contrast.

Leigh Anne said...

This is a fantastic pillow! As soon as I saw the opening photo I wondered if it was a Rossie technique :) The quilting looks great although I think it would have looked great with concentric circles as well.

I may be a little biased about that since I'm smitten with my concentric circle finish today ;)

Sarah Craig said...

Love it! I've never seen such neat reverse applique - I need to go over and check out her website to see if she shows how she does it....

Gunilla said...

I love your pillow!
Thank you for the inspiration.

Suzanne said...

You did a sneaky good job on that closure. I could not find it at first or second or third glance. I think the pillow should live on A's bed. Tell her I said so. :)

I have a bunch of orphan blocks I inherited that I need to do something with. I think you may be onto something. They may be better as pillows then as mini quilt wall hangings. Unfortunately the color palate does not fit my liking but the piecing is so amazing that I can't bear to let them be orphans for much longer.

Frances Meredith said...

I squealed too!

Jeanette said...

Cute pillow for your daughters bed!Love the porthole idea.

Maja said...

Cute pillow!
I like the idea!

Rossie said...

So fabulous! Thanks for sharing this!

Rene' said...

Happy Friday Amanda Jean!!!! Love your scrappy pillow combining the two techniques. Yay for being a tenth of the way through your 101 scrappy projects!!!

Anonymous said...

I just love that cushion ...you have such an amazing way will colour. You make it dance. Thank you for sharing and hosting the party. Have a great weekend. Marie.

Helen said...

lovely. I need more girls that squeal with delight in my life.

Pieced Brain Quilt Designs said...

I love the pillow! Great color choices!

Anna said...

Sooo cute! I love all your scrappy projects so far!

Annie said...

That pillow is adorable! Love the idea of the slab circle. I have so many orphan blocks hanging around. Need to get into some finishes

Kathleen said...

Great job! The back fabric is a perfect COMPLEMENT to the front. I COMPLIMENT you on your fine work!

Kathleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
margaret said...

what a perfect circle you have on the pillow, think you might have used interfacing sewn in a circle then a hole cut and pulled through? not sure I will check out all the links you have shared but will look at some later today.

Zara said...

OMG this pillow is so cute!!