Friday, November 15, 2013

sew together bag

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

Last weekend at retreat I started making a sew together bag. I was happy because it has only been on my list for a YEAR! (only. ha!) If you aren't familiar with the sew together bag, check out this post. It's brilliant! I use mine for carrying (and storing) all my sewing machine parts, tools and such. I was intimidated by the pattern because it involves 4 (!!!) zippers. But do you know what? It's totally worth it!
I broke up the assembly over several days, which I think is best. I made the patchwork panel, did most of the cutting and fusing at retreat. When I got home it was zipper time. I could have easily stalled out at that point, but I was determined to finish this baby. It was super helpful that a few ladies at retreat made the entire bag over the weekend. I watched all the steps and tried to glean as many tips and tricks as I could. That helped a lot.
Another thing that kept me from starting this bag was choosing a color scheme. It was hard to narrow it down, but once I found these orange and gray scraps, I knew I had my answer. I am SO pleased with the results!
Here's the inside....all ready to fill with goodies!
See that little bit of tiny patchwork? Those squares finish at 1". Definitely squeal-worthy. The rest of the squares finish at 2", my all time favorite. I know I don't need to state the obvious, but I LOVE this bag!!! My kids all want one, so I'm gearing up for making at least 3 more! I'd better stock up on some zippers!

This is scrap project #24/101.

Now it's your turn. Please link up your finishes! Happy, happy Friday to you!

33 comments:

Darcy said...

I've seen this bag and I want to make one but it scares me! All those zippers! Yours turned out super cute though so I may have to give it a try ;-)

Julia Graber said...

Your zippered bag is cute, useful and charming. What a great finish!

Frances Meredith said...

Yes, 4 zippers would have me running for the hills, but you have 'pulled' it off. Lovely scrap project - keep 'em coming!

Kelsey said...

Oh wow I love this bag! This pattern has been on my to-sew list for eons as well but I just never seem to get around to it. This is inspiration to maybe give it a whirl over the christmas break when I want a fun mini-project and a break from quilting. Your fabric selections are wonderful, thanks so much for sharing!

sonia said...

Wow. I love the bag and the quilts you have on sale. What a pity I'm across the ocean!
It's also my first time at your finish it up linky party, although I've been an avid reader for quite a time. So happy to be able to share a V&Co pattern. Thanks for hosting it!

Vera said...

That is absolutely perfect bag!

Allison said...

Ack! your blog can be a dangerous place to hang around for a girl who is trying not to start new projects - I will now be spending the rest of today resisting the temptation to start one of my own sew together bags ;) the colors and patchwork are so pretty, and I even spy a bit of pumpkin henna garden! {my fav fabric ever, squeal!} happy Friday!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Oh my... super cute and super functional make one great project!

CapitolaQuilter said...

Adorable bag. Love the scrappy bits and polka dot details

Svetlana said...

so, so totally amazingly gorgeous. I might have to start making one tonight. Yours is beautiful.

Bloomer's Buzzings said...

Something else to put on my to do list. I will have to get over the Zipper thing. So cute, I think I can do it!

Di~ said...

?Did you count the cute name tags in the scrap projects tally???? you should!

Turid said...

So cute! I really love it!

Snowcatcher said...

Four zippers in one project?!? Oh, my goodness! But it turned out so well!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing. I know exactly what I can use this for! Also a great Christmas gift!

Tennjenny said...

that is so cute!

SarahZ said...

What an awesome bag! I'm so excited because your book came in the mail yesterday (very squeal worthy!), and I thought there was no finish it up Friday (yesterday!), cuz I got confused(yesterday!)! On the up side, I got 2 Fridays this week! Now to link up!!! :) Yay!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and inspiring, I will have to try it some time. Wonderful tutorial!

Sally

Georgi said...

Love the scrappy bits patchwork ad LOVE the bag! great job!!

Lea said...

Fabulous, what a beautiful and useful bag that is!!!

HeLeNa said...

Very nice!
http://galetesifils.blogspot.com.es/
please, take a look in our!

Anonymous said...

Love your version!! Such lovely colors! I use mine for jewelry and added a ring holder on one side and earring hanger on the other =)

Such an awesome bag =D

margaret said...

certainly a bag and a half, wow all those pockets and zips, cae see it will be so very useful

Staci said...

What a fabulous bag! I've never seen it before! The zippers kinda worry me though, I have a bit of zipper phobia. But wow! If there ever was a time to throw caution to the wind and do zippers it would be for this bag.

Barbara said...

So cute! Fun to aee it finished! Thanks again for a GREAT week-end!

SharynB said...

You're bag is simply gorgeous! I draw the line at all those zippers though, I need more practice with them! Love your colours!

Karee said...

So cute. Love the gray and orange combo.

Regina Diniz Outeiro said...

So cute!! Love it!
I already bought my pattern

Anonymous said...

I have bought this pattern, but I haven't made it yet. I want to make one to carry in my knitting bag---I think it would be perfect for all my little tools. I really love your color scheme and your patchwork. Beautiful---I'm having me some serious zipper pouch envy right now!

krazgrl said...

I'm so in love with your color combo's and the scrappy patchwork, beautiful job. I hopped over to Craftsy to check this pattern our cuz I love it like everyone else. But the review kind of scared me off. Think you might post your own helpful tips when making the bag? :O)

Ramona said...

This has also been on my to do list and I actually almost used it at our last guild meeting. I love what you have done with it. Beautiful job.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I made this bag early this year and I LOVE IT! It holds SOOO much! I love your version...great colour combo!

Unknown said...

I made the bag this weekend. Very useful. Thank you for the step-by-step explanation
Xxx