Friday, December 05, 2014

scrap happy zip pouch

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

I've been carrying my original scrap happy purse for over a year and a half. I had washed it a few times, used it almost constantly, and admittedly, it was looking a little bit shabby. I knew it was time to retire it, but I wasn't quite ready to let go. So....last night I chopped it up, discarded the worn bits, and "recycled" the rest of the outer panels by turning it into a zip pouch.
I used a funky old zipper that I bought at the thrift store years ago. I got a big eye brow raise from my husband for that choice, but that's ok, I think it matches perfectly! Besides, this isn't for him! Ha!!
It is lined with ticking and I plan to use it as either a make up bag or perhaps a knitting project bag. (or maybe I should fill it with scraps, since they are threatening to take over my entire sewing area!) It measures 12" wide x 8 1/2" tall x 3 1/2" deep. I just LOVE it!!! Hurray for recycling patchwork!

I DID finish a quilt this week as well...but I have big plans for the photographs, so the full reveal will have to wait. (Sorry if I'm being a stinker!) We shall see if the photos turn out anything like they will in my head. Here's hoping!!!
Now it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thanks for joining me for finish it up Friday!

34 comments:

Rebecca said...

What a great way to give new life to your patchwork!

Melissa Corry said...

That pouch is so cute!!!

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

You are thrifty in more ways than one with this finish!

Vera said...

Great idea to reuse it!

Mari said...

Love your recycling! I wonder if I could do the same with a worn-out Vera Bradley? Worth a try! Yours looks wonderful.

Terri said...

cute cute! Love how you repurposed your original scrappy bag. I especially love zipper pouches with flat bottoms like this.

Mama Spark said...

Such a cute pouch. I need to learn how to make these!!

Turid said...

What a lovely scrappy pouch.

Svetlana said...

great pouch. What a fantastic idea to remake your tote into a pouch. Just perfect. Looking forward to seeing photos of your new quilt. I'm sure they will be stunning.

a maidenhair fern said...

well, aren't you the clever one. I can see why you kept that old zipper, something like that says "use me some day". And I just finished binding a mini quilt. Wish I'd seen wednesday's post on wednesday :)

Anina said...

Clever!
(One day soon I'll hopefully be able to post a link to a finish.)

BKringel said...

Im very much looking forward to seeing the full reveal of that quilt as I love those colors!!

Kelly O. said...

I think that zipper is fantabulous!!

Marle said...

I love this your colourful blog!

molly b quilts said...

I love the zipper! Can't wait to see the full picture of the other one. Man, did you give new life to that donated bag of scraps!!

Unknown said...

So kann man super Stoffreste verwerten.
Tolle Idee

Alli said...

I looooooove that zipper! Your scrappy pouch is so cute!

Lorna McMahon said...

I think your new pouch is adorable. And that zipper pull caught my eye right away. I love it! Looking forward to seeing more of your sneak peek!

SuperMomNoCape said...

What a great way to repurpose a much loved and used purse. Your zip pouch turned out great!

Vicki Sews said...

I love the idea of upcycling and these are two great examples!

Alisa said...

great idea! I cut my daughter's 'blankie' smaller and put a new binding at one point too b/c it was quite worn. She had a nice small one to take with wherever we went.

beth s said...

Great recycling job!

Granny Maud's Girl said...

Recycling something made from scraps - now, that is dedication to the idea of waste not, want not!

Carla said...

Oh....both projects are yummy!

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

I think that's got to be the ultimate scrap project - a scrap to the power scrap as it were! It looks wonderful and it must be nice not to have to abandon something that you put so much work into!

Unknown said...

Cutest bag ever!

SeeLifeMarvels said...

I have done the same thing! Loved a worn out project so much, I recycled it into something new and practical. This looks great!!

Annemieke said...

It looks very good! Great idea to recycle some parts you love!
Groetjes
Annemieke

Quilting Stories said...

I love your little pouch, so sweet!

simple :: dream :: quilts said...

Love how you recycled your bag into a pouch.
Too bad I missed your "Finish Up Friday" challenge this week. I finished my FIRST full size quilt top late last night and didn't get it photographed to make the link up deadline. Oh well, I have next week and challenge myself to have it quilted, bound and the matching pillow cover finished. I enjoy your work and the chance to challenge myself to complete projects....THANKS

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

Your husband clearly knows nothing about zippers! That is crazy cool!

beth said...

Great idea, to recycle, but I loved that purse - sorry to see it go . . . Of course I love the pouch but . . .

Unknown said...

Bag it very cute but oh - that quilt looks nice!

Unknown said...

woops "is" very cute!