Friday, February 24, 2017

bruiser quilt complete

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

It's been over a month since I finished a quilt. That seems like a long time. Hahaha!
I am so glad that this one is finished! I absolutely love how it turned out! I started calling this the bruiser quilt as a joke, but the name stuck. The pattern is called All Sizes, and it can be found in my book, No Scrap Left Behind.
There are a whole lot of triangles in this quilt, but making them in batches (10, 20 or 50 at a time) really helped to break up the monotony of the piecing. I also trimmed them in smaller batches to prevent cutting fatigue. As I made the triangles, I added them to the design wall, so I could constantly monitor my color and value balance.
I had this black and blue print in my stash since 2013 (designed by Julianna Horner for JoAnn's) and I can't tell you how happy I was to be able to use to bind this quilt! I don't think there could be a better match. I hand stitched down the binding over the past few days, which was delightful.
Remember the word "make" that I pieced from Cheryl's new fabric line? It found it's way onto the back of this quilt! Since it coordinated so well with the front, I had to incorporate it into the backing.
I sent this one off to the quilter for straight line quilting. I didn't want to deal with all those seams and possible distortion when quilting over hundreds of triangles. Steffani did a great job on it!
The quilt measures about 60" x 77 1/2". 

I'm now down to 6 quilt WIPs at the moment! Woohoo! Finishing feels GREAT!

Now, it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thank you for joining me for finish it up Friday!

28 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Mercy, that is a lot of triangles, what a great scrap buster! Thanks for hosting this weekly linky.

evaj said...

Wonderful scraps Quilt!! Hug Bambi❤️

legato1958 said...

An amazing quilt! Love these colors and your quilting!
Susie

The Cozy Quilter said...

I love all those triangles! The quilting looks great too!

Debbie said...

Very nice! I like this one alot, with it's emphasis on scale. Also like the BACK!

Summer Killebrew said...


Wow, it's beautiful! Great job!

somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com said...

I love this quilt and have been drooling over your No Scraps Left Behind Book all week. This quilt is definitely one I want to make.

em's scrapbag said...

I love the play with scale and of course I love how scrappy it is. Find finish.

Mari said...

Looks great! I don't blame you for sending those triangles to the quilter. And only 6 WIPs? Better get to creating some more! :)

Bernie Kringel said...

Very nice finish - I honestly cannot imagine taking this one on. That is a whole lot of HST's! Maybe in a smaller size?? I like it though and I especially like the backing!

dispack said...

What an awesome quilt! It is just beautiful. I love that it is kind of masculine! The binding and backing are perfect! Hope you are having a good time at quilt con....funny thing....I don't even know what quilt con is?
I bet half of your cute pincushions are in other's happy hands by now!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I have always loved this color combination. It looks great!

Angie in SoCal said...

Now I know what to do with all those triangle pairs I've cut off from stitch and flip blocks. Thank you! Your quilt is beautiful.

Tracybug Creative said...

Woah! I love that your quilts utilize other people's scraps too! It's like the fabric has a great life and you have vision for the discards!

MIss Sherry said...

Love this quilt.... simple design, great layout! Great job.

Quilter Kathy said...

Such a fun quilt! Great finish!

Little Quiltsong said...

Beautiful Quilt!! Love the backing - ingenious!!

Cathy Tomm said...

Great quilt! it is a big one and taking most of the month is OK. I like that it is so blue grey. I does have me thinking of making a scrappy triangle quilt my self. Maybe even ocean waves.

DeeDee said...

I got your book in the mail today. I love it! I'm excited to go through my scraps and get started.

Winifred said...

That's brilliant. Gorgeous design.

KaHolly said...

Oh, it's just delightful! There's a lot of work in this beauty and I can well imagine how glad you are to declare it a finish. The straight line quilting was a perfect choice! XO

Karen said...

Design, fabric, color, back! WOW!!

Jana said...

What a great finish! Colors, design and the quilting go so well together.

JanineMarie said...

I love the graduated sizes of the triangles in this quilt. I think the limited color range really helps them stand out.

snoopydogknits said...

This is totally stunning!!! I love it, just as I love your blog. I am a new quilter and finding this little place has been inspirational! Thanks you! Ros x

Judy said...

What an amazing quilt. I just made quite a few HSTs and found that I trimmed some wonky. My bloc-loc rulers arrive tomorrow! Hope that solves it for me. Then I might manage a whole quilt.
golfingofcourse at gmail dot com

Patty said...

Love, love this quilt! Was happy to briefly bump into you at QC

Sue said...

Love the colour choices in this quilt! And I really like that word block - noted for future use!