Friday, February 03, 2017

kindness pillow

Welcome to finish it up Friday!
I finished my kindness pillow cover yesterday. It's definitely not perfect, but I am so glad that I took the time to make this project. It will be nice to have a visible daily reminder of my word for 2017. I purchased a king size pillow for the insert. It's a snug fit, but I managed to avoid popping any seams while stuffing it into the pillow cover. Hurray for that!
This solid fabric is something that I picked up at the thrift store for a couple of bucks a few months ago. I knew that I'd find a use for it someday. It's heavier than normal quilting cotton, so it makes a great pillow backing. I love the added pop of color to the back! This is the first time (ever!) that I used a zipper enclosure on the back of a pillow. It was so easy, thanks to this great tutorial by Svetlana. I'm glad to have that skill in my repertoire now.
I quilted the pillow with a 1/2" diamond grid. I love the texture and stability that the quilting adds.
The pillow finishes at 18 1/2" x 32".
 
Because I know someone will ask....the letters are something that I drafted up for this project. I've been thinking it over, and I'm going to attempt to write up a pattern for the whole alphabet....even though it could take me forever! :)
 
Now, it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thank you, as always, for joining me for finish it up Friday! Have a great weekend. xo

20 comments:

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Oh what a perfect project for the week we've lived through - a very good reminder of what we should be focussing on

Bernie Kringel said...

My sister (just yesterday) asked me about making some floor cushions for meditating. I was thinking I better figure out how to do a zipped backing rather than my usual envelope style. Thanks for the link to Svetlana's tut. I will take a look at it.

KINDNESS is a great choice of a word/feeling/philosophy to focus on for 2017 (well, really for always.)

Brooke said...

love, love it!

brooke@sillymamaquilts.com

Julie Bagamary said...

Great project and reminder of usimg an enclosed zipper. I've been contemplating putting my word, JOY on art this year. Your work is inspiring.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I love your idea of making your word of the year into a pillow. It looks great :)

Anne said...

A great word choice!

Chris said...

I love the way the pillow turned out!

Lizzy said...

I love your pillow! A great reminder of your word. I look forward to your alphabet pattern.

Mary Marcotte said...

Love the idea of a word for the year. Making a pillow of the word to remind yourself and kiddos? Brilliant! I imagine that the word will appear on the sofa now and again even after 2017.

beth s said...

Beautiful pillow! Perfect word.

Katherine said...

What a sweet idea for a pillow! Those pieced letters are AMAZING. Way to go on your first zipper for a pillow back! Looks great. Happy weekend!

KaHolly said...

Looks wonderful! XO

pingraham said...

I love both your word of the year idea, and your block style letters. Thanks for considering creating a pattern for the entire alphabet! I'm so excited for your new book!

farmhousequilter8 said...

I just love what you do. My work is GIVE. Paula in KY

The Joyful Quilter said...

WOW!! I didn't realize that your Word of the Year ended up quite that large. Yes, there are wide borders, but a king sized pillow? It's an AWESOME reminder for you!!

Kate said...

Love this! And, I'm obsessed with the quilt in the background. Would you mind sharing the name of the pattern? Thank you!

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

Such a perfect project! A great word indeed!!

Di~ said...

LOVE this pillow!

artsycraftsyivy said...

Love your pillow! A pattern of the alphabet would be fantastic! I love this font :)

Goldogmom said...

Very striking. And others who read it when in your home will carry that energy out into the world with them!

I hope you do share the block alphabet with us. Just last night I thought I'd like to make a pillow for my 4 yr old DGD, her name is Zoë and she is proud to see her name, read it and say it. So a pillow with her name on it seems like a nice way to celebrate her name and her joy in her name. I have not idea how to make fabric letters but I'd love to learn. I am assuming you appliqués them on to the pillow?

Thank you again, as always I am inspired by your creative ideas.