Friday, February 17, 2017

LOVE hoop art and a finished scarf

A few days ago, I attempted to make a pincushion with the word LOVE on it, but it turned out waaaay too big, so I turned it into hoop art instead! I've been kicking around the idea of making something like this for a long time, I just didn't realize that it would be this week! Ha! The letters were pieced improvisationally. I ran out of red fabric (ridiculous, but true!) so I made the L from a print rather than a solid. I love that it is a little bit scrappy!
The hoop was hanging up, empty, for a few years (!!!) so nice finally have it filled. I think it looks pretty cute on my wall next to the be positive one that I made awhile back. They are a bright and cheery part of my sewing room!  
I also finished my mistake stitch scarf this week! This project has quite a story behind it. Originally, I used this yarn to knit a honey cowl, which I had completed. Despite the fact that I knit the long version of the cowl, and added 20 stitches, the cowl didn't fit to my liking. It wasn't quite long enough to double up comfortably. I debated for a few days on what to do about it, and I decided to frog the cowl (rip it all out) and start all over. My husband gets a little bit freaked out about this, because he hates seeing all that time go down the drain, so I frogged it in secret. I figured he didn't need to worry about it. A few days later, I was knitting on the scarf at dinner with some friends, and my husband observed out loud (to our friend) that the yarn was all kinked up, so it must have been knit into some other object previously. I was flabbergasted. I had no idea he paid that much attention. (hahaha!) It was equal parts funny and surprising. In the end, I'm glad I reworked the yarn. I'd much rather have an object that will be worn and used than a project that isn't quite right. Besides, I got to enjoy the yarn twice! :)

Pattern: Mistake Stitch Scarf
Needle Size: 7 (I cast on 39 stitches)
Yarn: Madelintosh DK
Color: Button Jar Blue

I wanted to say a quick thank you for all the kind comments on my top 10 tips for successful scrap quilting post. I am glad that it was helpful to so many of you!

Now it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thank you, as always, for joining me for finish it up Friday!

15 comments:

Jill Fisher said...

The hoop art idea is fantastic. Between love and a positive attitude, you've got it made!

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Oh that is so sweet - and I love your hanging butterflies too, what a pretty sewing room wall!

Liz said...

It's so funny that you frogged in secret, but he noticed anyway! I too have projects that aren't quite right, but I didn't want to frog them to repurpose the yarn, because that's like wasting all that time, right? When in actuality, if I repurpose them, I might use the finished objects, instead of letting the ones that aren't "quite right" languish in the closet.

Di~ said...

I LOVE that story! haha I agree...there are just some things that he doesn't need to know or worry about! You were busted! :)

nela said...

thank you for telling us the story. lovely and so sweet of your husband to be observant and really noticing that you do work a lot!

travelinsewl said...

Those men surprise us sometimes! Nice projects this week.

Little Quiltsong said...

What a beautiful way to display those hoops. Love your hoop blocks!!

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

Love the story of the scarf!! You have no idea how happy you made me...as someone new to knitting to read that this messing up thing happens to even the experienced! Frogging...something else new to me! I am becoming an expert on that! And thanks too for a great post on scrap management. I love, love most of my scraps and need to put them to work!

Zenia Rene said...

Your hoop art looks great and I LOVE your sewing room, storage and organization! Thanks for the linky party.

Bernie Kringel said...

Oh, he's watching out for you... how sweet.
I'm with you. I would rather make something again, rather than have it just sit on a shelf somewhere.

(I ordered the new book and can't wait to read it!!)

pingraham said...

Such a funny story about your husband's reaction to what I refer to as "tinking" - tink, as in knit, backwards, which is, of course, what you're doing! I rarely mind tinking a piece, as I learn something new and improve my skills each time. You can assure your husband no time is wasted, as you are teaching yourself new skills!

Wendi said...

Your hoop project has inspired me. Love the hanging butterflies. Did you make them? If so
is there a pattern available?
Thanks

Rene' said...

Love the LOVE hoop! See you soon!

Cindy Quilts said...

My husband hates when I frog something,too! I tell him I won't wear/use it if I don't like it so it is better to take it out and redo it or make something else. Still bothers him.

Linda said...

I would love to know how the butterflies are made in the above picture. My email is
Lchin632@gmail.com