Friday, June 16, 2017

pincushions!

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

Hey, did you know that I love pincushions? (Hahaha!) This week I finished a bunch of them! I love making them because they are so cute, fairly quick to finish and they make great gifts. I've been giving them away nearly as fast as I make them, which is actually a good thing!
I'm calling these "granny pincushions", which are knit from scrap yarn. I love them so much! I remember my own dear grandmother had a pincushion in this style, but it was rust, teal and gold, if I recall correctly. Personally, I like the updated colors much better. :)
My daughter selected this yarn color combo. It's spot on, isn't it? This one is made from worsted weight wool yarn. (Technically, I finished this one a few weeks ago, but I haven't shared it here yet...)
This is another one in worsted weight yarn...the outside band is leftover yarn from my sweater!
This one uses chunky weight wool and it is all leftovers from two previous projects, both for my daughter. The orange and pink were from a skirt that I knit for her and the cream was from a hat that I made for her when she was just a little one. It's fun to be using the leftovers! It's also nice to have a momento of those days.
The middle ring used all but a few short inches of the cream yarn I had left. I was pretty happy that I played yarn chicken and I won. Barely. Haha!

There is a pattern that is similar here for the worsted weight pincushion if you care to make one (or a hundred) of your own. I'm working on making some in other size yarns and I plan to share the instructions here on the blog after I do a bit more testing. :)
I was cleaning off my cutting table the other day and I came across a scrap of this cute strawberry fabric. It was begging to be turned into pincushions. It IS strawberry season, after all! Hahaha! I like quilting the front panel of my pincushions, almost always, for added texture. I love these three together, but they will be going to three different people. They are just so happy!
The last two pincushions were made from the scrap basket. (As if I only have ONE scrap basket, HAHAHA!) The top one is about 3" square and the bottom one measures about 2" x 6 1/2" or so. I love how they turned out! (All of the sewn pincushions shown in this post are filled with crushed walnut shells.)

Now, it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thank you, as always, for joining me for finish it up Friday! Have a great weekend!

28 comments:

Alison V. said...

These are so cute! :)

Angie in SoCal said...

So cute! You are the Queen of Pin Cushions.

Melissa Corry said...

I love all of the happy colors of the yarn pincushions. So fun!!! Did you knit them or crochet them?? I haven't tried either, but I have a SIL that can crochet in her sleep and I might just have to forward her this link :)

Laura said...

All your pincushions are adorable, and I'd never seen the knit ones before. So cute! Too bad I don't knit ... it's all quilting, all the time around here.

beth s said...

Thank you for the linky party! LOVE your pincushions. :)

auntiemichal said...

I'm especially fond of the strawberries! I have my grandmother's knitted ring pincushion, too. That Ravelry link doesn't have a link to the pattern, but I found it here: https://web.archive.org/web/20080415065144/http://people.delphiforums.com/knit_chat/fingerpuppets/pincushion.htm

Mary Marcotte said...

Those knitted pincushions are just too adorable! I'd have to make one in my grandmother's colors just to see something like it. Besides one in the old colors can't hurt much--besides it might help your daughter to see how everything old is new again. That's a great connection for young ones to understand.

Rika said...

These are cute!

Turid said...

I love pincushions, too. Yours are so inspiring, thank you. I've linked my newest today, and a fantastic one I got in the mail yesterday.

ChezVies said...

it's fun and pretty cushion covers Amanda

Anonymous said...

those knitted pincushions look almost good enough to eat ^^

Katherine said...

Could you please show me a photo of your stored walnut shells? I have been looking on eBay and can't work out what size to get and how to store it :(

Michele said...

Your granny pincushions made me think of sushi:-)

Kay said...

A girl can never have too many pincushions. x

pennylanequilts said...

Love those pin cushions! I think I need to make some skinny ones...

Sylvia Anderson said...

I came looking for you after getting your No Scrap Left Behind book from the library. The book has motivated me to begin using some of my scraps to make a couple of your patterns that I am partial to. While I love the scrap baskets you have made, I know that this 81 year old is way too lazy to make them. Some years back, while at the Dollar Tree, I found plastic baskets in a huge variety of colors and, with a few exceptions, was able to get enough colors to match the fabrics that are stored in them.

Your knitted pin cushions are so darn cute, but I don't knit, just crochet, so I will do some hunting online to see if there is something comparable done in crochet. God knows, I have all kinds of scrap yarn!

P.S. your daughter is beautiful and I enjoyed the pictures in the book!

Little Quiltsong said...

You think of and design the cutest things! Love these wool cupcake pincushions!!

Unknown said...

The knitted pincushions look just like cupcakes!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Adorable!!! I don't knit and at this point in my life have no business taking up yet another crafty hobby but if I did I'd make some knitted pincushions.

Unknown said...

Love the colors, they are so cute!

JeanInMaine said...

Love your colors, I have an old pincushion that is similar except it is on a round wooden base with a dowel in the middle the has been sanded at the top to put a thimble on.

emmy said...

I made a few of the knit pincushions several years ago. Although, I have several pincushion, they are the ones I use daily. I have a thimble in the center and a seam ripper between the colors. Thanks for the post as mine are looking rather poorly after so much use.

KaHolly said...

Your pincushions are always so sweet!

Unknown said...

I love my strawberry pincushion. Thank you for coming to visit rural Indiana.

Charlotte M. said...

I love ALL the pin cushions!! You make me want to make tons of pin cushions, but what will I do with them all?

MaterialGirlQuilts said...

I am LOVING those "granny pincushions"! Too cute!
Amanda

GrammyK said...

These little knitted pin cushions remind me of sushi! So adorable, please share the pattern, and my fingers are crossed that it is beginner friendly. Thanks for your great blog! Karen E

Suzanne said...

I'm smitten with those pincushions, all of them. Now that my collection is growing, I may just have to get a curio box to rest some of my treasured pincushions when they are not in use. Who am I kidding? They're all already in use!